Sunday, November 8, 2015

You remember Sir Kay, right?


 The post about Sir Kay's face was a couple weeks ago, but here's some more about him. He's finally finished.

Here's his character card, which I used to determine the colors.


You remember his face right?
Awesome detail, as you can see.

 Here's the silly face I had to paint on him, because you can see that there were no actual facial features. Only suggestions of features.


This is the palette of colors I used. 
The blue is for Sir Kay. The red was for King Arthur (previous post).
You can see how I put out several colors, ranging from my lightest light to my darkest dark.
I lay them all out on the palette so I can go from one to the next over and over, rather than painting one layer, and getting the next color out, and painting that layer and so on, while each one dries.
This way, there's more opportunity to take advantage of the still wet paint for blending wet into wet.


 Et finis!




And Sir Galahad...
  


The yellow cloak would prove to be a challenge, but mostly because as I returned to painting after a couple years, I had to throw away a lot of dried up paint, which left me with only one yellow to work with, and that was an orange yellow. It proved to be too dark for what I wanted to do. Adding white to it didn't help much. You can see the orange color in the picture above, and how different it is from the artwork on the character card, which is what I was trying to match.
I called it finished, in frustration. 
A couple days later, after picking up some new paints, and finishing all the knights, they were ready for a matte varnish, to finish them off.
If you'll remember me mentioning Sir Tristan (the purple knight) and my problem with the Reaper purple ink bleeding with the application of the clear coat, you'll notice Galahad's tunic. I used some of the same purple paint mixed with the ink here. When I went to clear coat him, the purple ink bled into the brush and before I knew it, that color was all over my yellow cloak, making it more orange and even darker. I set him aside to dry.
With the new yellow paint I got, lighter and brighter, and no orange in it, I repainted the cloak. Here's the finished Sir Galahad:


So the Knights of the Round Table are done, but the game is not over.
The next post will show the painting of Excalibur, the Holy Grail, and Lancelot's Armor, the three objectives the knights may win by completing quests in Shadows Over Camelot.

No comments:

Post a Comment